#BraveAndStrongAllDayLong #BooksOnTour #BlogDash #Day5
How to Make a Paper Roll Lifeguard Fiona on a Surfboard…that floats!
What do you know about the role of lifeguards? What kind of person can be a lifeguard? What kind of rescues do you think they can do? What uniform might they wear? What kinds of equipment / clothing do they need for their job? What is a rip? Do you know how to stay away from rips? What can you do if you’re stuck in one? How else can you stay safe at the beach? Can females be just as ‘brave and strong’ as males, in any job? Learn all about lifeguards and then make your own. She can even float on the water!
Two shades of blue coloured paper
Toilet / Paper roll
Sticky tape (or glue)
Materials (for surfboard):
Polystyrene (we used a pizza base)
White paper or template of a surfboard shape
Coloured pens or markers (permanent)
Directions (for lifeguard):
1. Cut a strip of the dark blue paper to fit around the bottom of the paper roll. Leave a small gap to draw legs. Attach.
2. Cut a strip of the light blue paper to fit around the middle section, slightly overlapping the dark blue as you attach.
3. Cut out a long oval shape from the dark blue paper, ensuring that it is the same diameter as the paper roll end. This will be the hat. Attach to the top with the peak shading the face.
4. Using pens, draw details on your lifeguard, including hair, face, arms, legs, and ‘LIFEGUARD’ written on the shirt.
5. She’s ready to play!
Directions (for surfboard):
1. Draw or print a template of a surfboard shape. Cut out.
2. Use the template to trace onto the polystyrene. Cut out.
3. Decorate your surfboard any way you like! Note: for use in water ensure markers are permanent.
4. Stick your lifeguard onto your surfboard and watch her ride the waves! Note: paper roll lifeguard may not be durable if wet!
1. Set up a sensory / role play beach scene with sand, blue paper water and flags. Act out some dangerous rescue scenes from the story!
Developed by © Books On Tour 2017.
For more crafts and educational ideas please visit the Brave And Strong All Day Long Pinterest board.
FUN in the SUN: Brave and Strong #BookGiveaway!
Simply comment with what your favourite Summer time activity is for an entry into this fabulous #bookgiveaway! There are multiple copies of Brave and Strong All Day Long up for grabs! 🙂
Please click here for more information.
Brave and Strong All Day Long Blog Tour Schedule
Everyday from Monday December 4 – Friday December 8
Wednesday December 6
Vanessa Ryan – www.educateempower.blog
Thursday December 7
Brydie Wright – www.brydiewright.com
Friday December 8
Creative Kids Tales – www.creativekidstales.com.au
Julie Anne Grasso – www.whenigrowupiwannawriteakidsbook.blogspot.com.au
Subscribe here to stay in the loop.