Just Write For Kids Competition – Pitch It!
Just Write For Kids is very excited to announce the very first writing competition; Pitch It!
If you’re like most writers, you’re probably itching for the chance to skip the slush pile and get your manuscript directly on the desk a publishing editor. I’ll bet you also wouldn’t mind your manuscript appraised, or a subscription to a leading kidlit industry magazine. Am I right? Well, believe it or not, now you can have the chance to jump ahead of the rest simply by writing a knock-out pitch!
Here’s what you need to know to enter…
September 1, 2018
September 30, 2018
All writers within Australia, published or unpublished in the children’s book industry.
Each entry will be based on the pitch of an unpublished manuscript. That is, the manuscript you are pitching for is NOT already published.
Write a pitch for a children’s manuscript to a publisher. Be creative! Provide a hook. We are looking for pitches that jump off the page and excite us. Make us want to know more!
Please follow these specific guidelines:
- Word count must be between 100 and 150 words.
- The pitch is written for either a picture book, chapter book (JF or MG), or young adult manuscript.
- The pitch must include your hook / blurb, manuscript word count, title, genre (PB, JF, MG, YA), target market and comparative titles (if applicable). NO author biographies or identifying details.
- Your name DOES NOT appear on the pitch entry.
- DO NOT send in the manuscript. Pitch only.
The winner will have their pitch and accompanying manuscript forwarded to Commissioning Editor and Publicity Coordinator of Wombat Books, Emily Lighezzolo, for a publisher appraisal and edit.
The choice between a manuscript appraisal by award-winning author and editor, Dianne Bates, OR a one-year subscription to leading kidlit e-magazine, Buzz Words.
A $60 Boomerang Books voucher; Australia’s Online Independent Bookstore.
- Multiple entries are accepted but must be submitted with separate entry emails and payment.
- Entries must be in English.
- Entries must be typed, 12 point Times New Roman font.
- Submissions are to be emailed to jwfkcompetition (AT) gmail (DOT) com:
In the Subject Line:
JWFK Pitch It Competition Entry_(Your Name)
In the Body of the Email:
Your Manuscript Title
Your Phone Number
- Pitch Entry document as .doc or .docx saved with manuscript title (NO name, NO manuscript).
- Proof of payment (screenshot image)
- Payment of $5.50 per entry (including transaction fee) is payable at the time of submission to paypal.me/justkidslit.
- All entries will receive acknowledgement upon receipt via email within 24 hours. Incomplete entries will receive a second chance offer via email to complete within 24 hours, thereafter will be disqualified.
- By entering this competition you agree to the terms and conditions listed in these guidelines.
We cannot provide feedback for entries.
Please see below links for help with writing a strong pitch.
Entries will be judged by award-winning author and editor Dianne Bates of Buzz Words Magazine, award-winning author Debra Tidball, and author and professional copywriter Kellie Byrnes, with the shortlist judged by Editor / Publicity Coordinator, Emily Lighezzolo of Wombat Books.
Judges decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
The winners will be announced on the Just Write For Kids website and social media pages by the end of October 2018 (TBC).
Please contact us at jwfkcompetition (AT) gmail (DOT) com with any questions.
The winning entry is not guaranteed publication by Wombat Books. All entries will be discarded after competition close.
HELPFUL ARTICLES ON WRITING A PITCH
- Kate Simpson Finding Granny Pitch
GOOD LUCK! 🙂