#verityville #bookcampaign #booksontourpr
Verityville is a marvellous place to be – full of wonder, friendship and adventure! Verityville is a town with wonderful people who live and work there. It’s about ordinary, everyday people who make a big difference to our lives. Immerse yourselves in the town of Verityville, and the very town of where you live, to create your own cardboard city! Welcome to Verityville!
In this highly engaging literacy, arts and STEM activity, children will use their experiences to inform language and play about those extraordinary, everyday people who help unite the community and make our world a better place to live. From the garbage collectors, to the hairdressers, teachers, lollipop men and women, traffic controllers and lifeguards – who else can you think of to include in your Verityville town?
Key Curriculum Areas: Foundation – Year 2
Language for interaction: Understand that language can be used to explore ways of expressing needs, likes and dislikes (ACELA1429)
Responding to literature: Share feelings and thoughts about the events and characters in texts (ACELT1783)
Discuss characters and events in a range of literary texts and share personal responses to these texts, making connections with students’ own experiences (ACELT1582)
Creating literature: Recreate texts imaginatively using drawing, writing, performance and digital forms of communication (ACELT1586)
Interacting with others: Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
STEM / Design and Technologies
Generate, develop and record design ideas through describing, drawing and modelling (ACTDEP006)
4 – 8 years
Before Reading –
What do you notice about the range of characters on the front covers of the Verityville series? What do you think they do for their jobs?
Have you met anyone in any of these roles? What do you know about the kinds of things they do? How do they help us?
After Reading –
What did you learn about the people in the books?
Why are their roles important?
What did you notice about their uniforms / clothing, equipment used, location, and so on?
Do they work as a team or by themselves? Why is it important for them to communicate with their teammates / customers / people they are helping?
What would happen if these people didn’t do their jobs? What would happen to the town and the people?
Can you think of other people in your town that help people? What are their jobs, and why are they important?
Verityville Cardboard City Craft
Image credit: Box of Ideas
Cardboard boxes and cartons, such as cereal boxes, milk cartons / bottles, juice boxes, paper tubes, etc.
Coloured pencils or markers
*Optional: Acrylic paint and brush
Glue / Sticky tape
Craft items for decoration, such as pipe cleaners, stickers, buttons, icy pole sticks, pom poms, etc.
*Optional: print out of windows and doors- printable images below
- Discuss the use of recycling (and how that helps the ‘Garbage Guy’ and the environment) for this project. Also list or discuss the kinds of buildings, roads, scenery, vehicles, community people and animals you would like to include in your Verityville town.
- For each of your boxes, paint or cover with coloured paper, and make a paper roof.
3. Colour in, cut and paste windows, doors, signs, etc to place on your buildings.
You can print these templates or draw your own:
4. Use your creativity, decorative craft materials and other toys to add detail to your shops / roads / school, etc, such as pom poms for flowers or fruit, sand on the beach, or box cars and trucks on the roads.
5. Using the paper tubes or cut out cardboard and coloured paper, create the people / community workers in your town.
Image Credit: Simple Everyday Mom
6. Put all your completed buildings and scenery together to build your Verityville town.
7. Gather your friends and engage in role play to act out different scenarios using your little community helpers!
#education #literacy #visualarts #STEM #communityworkers #verityville
*Teaching notes composed by Romi Sharp, Books On Tour PR & Marketing 2020.
Follow Elizabeth Cummings and purchase the Verityville books at the website:
Elizabeth Mary Cummings: https://elizabethmarycummings.com/
Marvel at the ordinary made extraordinary with Elizabeth Mary Cummings and her wonderful series, Verityville, appearing at the following media sources…
Organised by Books On Tour PR & Marketing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org