#LizzysDragon #BooksOnTour #BlogTour #Day4
How to Make a Dragon Egg
What do you know about dragons? Do you know any dragons in books or movies? What do like / dislike about them? What similarities to dragons have to lizards? What about dinosaurs? One thing they all have in common is that they lay eggs. But dragon eggs are particularly beautiful.
Create and decorate your own egg to represent a dragon (or other egg-laying creature) from a certain scene. For example, use shells for a beach / water dragon, jewels for a cave dragon, feathers for a nest dragon, etc. Try to reflect this based on the surprise animal inside!
Watch the video tutorial.
Visual Arts: Explore and experiment with visual conventions to develop an individual approach to a theme or subject matter.
Responding to Literature: Compare opinions about characters, events and settings in and between texts.
Science: Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves.
Piece of foil
Assortment of jewels and any other small decorative items
Playdough, or air drying clay
1. Wrap your toy in the foil, and scrunch it up into an egg shape.
2. Roll out a piece of playdough or clay, then begin to cover your foil egg. Continue spreading around the entire egg until covered. Ensure dough has enough thickness to push the jewels into.
3. Begin to decorate with your jewels and other small items until covered.
4. Optional: colour speckles with paint or create texture with utensils.
5. Now the fun part! Open your egg or give to a friend to guess the animal then open to reveal the surprise creature inside!
Download your printable Lizzy’s Dragon Craft Dragon Egg instructions.
For more craft and educational activities please visit our Lizzy’s Dragon Pinterest board.
Title: Lizzy’s Dragon
Author: Melissa Gijsbers
Illustrator: Kylie Leane
Publisher: Stone Table Books
Produced by: © Books On Tour 2017 for Just Write For Kids Australia
For your chance to WIN a signed copy of Lizzy’s Dragon comment below, on social media, or any participating blog, with your response to “What mythical creature would you love to have as a pet?”
Include the hashtag #dragongiveaway to ensure your entry is noticed.
See here for full details.
Lizzy’s Dragon Blog Tour Schedule
Everyday at www.justkidslit.com/blog
Wednesday October 25 – Brook Tayla
Thursday October 26 – Megan Higginson
Friday October 27 – Vanessa Ryan
Tuesday October 31 – Julie Anne Grasso
Subscribe here to stay in the loop!