#TheScaredBook #BooksOnTour #BlogBlitz #Day4
What do you know about monsters? Do you know any monsters in books or on TV? Do monsters scare you? Can monsters be something else that’s scary, like a new place, or a new kind of food? What can we do to try and be brave and not be afraid? Let’s try a few methods like in the book; example, taking deep breaths, flicking or fanning away yucky thoughts, or giving yourself a hug or a shake. This rattling Monster Shaker will certainly scare away all those scary monsters!
Learning Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners.
Learning Outcome 5: Children are effective communicators.
1/2 cup of uncooked rice or beans
Sticky tape and scissors
Craft materials for decorating, such as Pom poms, chenille sticks, feathers, ribbon, textas, etc.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
1. Trace and cut out two circles from construction paper to fit the ends of the tube. Cover one end with a circle.
2. Cut strips of foil and crumble them into small balls. Place them and the rice in the tube.
3. Cover the other end of the tube with the other circle. Make sure the ends are completely shut.
4. Using your coloured paper and craft materials decorate to make your favourite monster.
5. Shake your monster up and down, over and under! Now you have a monster shaker!
Download your printable Monster Shaker instructions.
For more craft and educational activities please visit our The Scared Book Pinterest board.
For your chance to WIN a signed copy of The Scared Book comment below or on social media with your response to “What gives you goosebumps, spine tingles or butterflies in your tummy?”. PLUS, for a chance to PITCH and SUBMIT your picture book manuscript direct to publisher Suzanne O’Sullivan at Lothian Children’s Book, add #thescaredpitch to your response!
ALSO! Draw and/or make your own monster to go in the draw to WIN a signed copy of the book PLUS an author visit from Debra Tidball to a Sydney-based classroom of your choice! For more information please head to Debra’s website.
Title: The Scared Book
Author: Debra Tidball
Illustrator: Kim Siew
Publisher: Hachette Lothian Children’s Books
Produced by: © Books On Tour 2017 for Just Write For Kids Australia